понедельник, 11 апреля 2011 г.

La petite bijou



I have been recently rereading one of my favourite novels - La petite bijou by Patrick Modiano. The first time I have read it, it simply entranced me. I was completely immersed in it, the atmosphere, the place, the characters. It is about an 18 year old girl living in Paris. She hasn't seen her mother since her early childhood, and then she sees her in the underground but she is not quite sure whether that is her. Thérèse starts recollecting her childhood, which eventually leads her to a nervous break down. The novel is penetrated by the feeling of being lost but is not, however, at any rate depressing. This identity quest remains unsolved, and in the end, Thérèse finds charming relief in her helplessness and drops her memories. What I love about the book is the absence of details - the narration is far too poetic to give the characters unambiguous biographies. I would recommend the book to any extreme individualist like me, who is in constant search of something indefinable, knowing that the search will inevitably fail.
P.S. Vincent Delerm has a song called Le baiser Modiano. It is very poetic, and if you know some French, you will definitely like it. If you don't, you can simply enjoy the music, it is wonderful.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий